Ignite your passion.
What is Humane Education?
Humane education explores the connections between human rights, environmental sustainability, animal protection, and culture & changemaking with the goal of preparing people to address and solve systemic problems in ways that do the most good and least harm for humans, animals, and the natural world.
What you’ll learn through our grad programs
- To teach about the interconnected issues that affect people, animals, and the environment using an intersectional, solutionary approach.
- To inspire and educate for change.
- To employ education for effective changemaking in any setting.
There has never been a better time to become a humane educator – complete this inquiry form to learn more.
These are the only graduate programs of their kind.
“IHE’s graduate program helped me to articulate the need for systemic changes within the educational system and inspired me to envision possibilities for how my work could catalyze and contribute to such change.”Ariane White, M.Ed. graduate
Mary Pat Champeau, IHE Director of Graduate Programs
Students can complete the online graduate programs from anywhere in the world. The programs include an optional one-week residential component offered as a 3-credit course each summer at IHE’s oceanfront campus in Surry, Maine.
The graduate programs feature:
- Rigorous coursework delivered by faculty who are experts in their content areas
- Strong emphasis on community
- Strategies for educating about environmental, animal, and social justice
- Assignments that encourage students to explore their own attitudes, values, strengths, biases, and aspirations
- Video-conference discussions and individual mentoring
- A highly-connected online environment where each person’s unique experiences and aspirations are valued
– M.Ed. in Humane Education (33 credits)
– M.A. in Humane Education (33 credits)
– Graduate Certificate in Humane Education (15 credits)
– Ed.D. with a specialization in Humane Education
All programs are offered online with three entry points per year (spring, summer, fall).
Graduates from our graduate program in humane education work as changemakers in many different fields. Graduates teach at all levels of education; work for non-profit organizations as leaders and outreach educators; bring about cultural transformation through the arts, media, business, and technology; and have launched entrepreneurial initiatives.
Read about some of our graduates here
Tuition: $711 per credit hour. Please see Tuition and Admission for more information.
Admissions Requirements: an undergraduate degree from an accredited university, two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, $50 application fee.
APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR SPRING 2021: January 4, 2021.