Thank you for your interest in joining the IHE team.
Communications and Marketing Specialist
Do you want to join a dedicated team working to create an equitable, humane, and
healthy world? The Institute for Humane Education (IHE) is a non-profit headquartered in
Surry, ME. Our mission is to educate people to create a world where all people, animals, and
nature can thrive.
We are looking to hire a Communications and Marketing Specialist who will work remotely to share our work, resources, professional development opportunities, and successes via social media, our website, our monthly e-newsletter, as well as directly to teachers and school leaders and to the media. The goals of this position include helping to make our Solutionary Framework foundational in more schools; increasing the number and diversity of students in our Graduate Programs and our Solutionary Micro-credential Program; growing our social media following and engagements; and bringing our mission, our programs, and our free resources to the attention of more educators and changemakers.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications and Marketing Specialist will produce daily social media posts, keep the website updated, collaborate on and send e-blasts and monthly e newsletters, tell the stories of our alumni and of the teachers and students using our solutionary approach, expand our impact by securing interviews, keynotes, and other speaking opportunities for IHE’s leadership team, and reach out to groups of people who will enroll in our programs and implement our resources.
Promotion of programs and offerings
- Promote IHE Graduate Programs and Solutionary Micro-credential Program
- Promote IHE free resources
- Learn and share the stories of graduate program alumni and students; teachers adopting our solutionary ideas in their classrooms; and students producing solutionary work in schools.
Social Media, Ads, Website, and Newsletter
- Improve SEO: suggest and implement website improvements and new landing pages based on analytics, as well as personal insight and expertise; review and improve drip feed and other communications; produce slide decks and other digital materials to share our stories, successes, needs, and goals effectively.
- Oversee and adjust Google ad campaigns and work with advertising consultant(s) on
- Adjust social media to consistently increase followers and engagement.
- Update website as needed and requested.
- Oversee production of the Humane Edge, IHE’s monthly electronic newsletter, through
editing, formatting, proofreading, and distributing.
Media, Influencers, and Conferences
- Seek/secure media opportunities for the IHE leadership team as well as keynote or other presentation opportunities at major conferences.
- Connect with influencers and partner organizations who can help to promote our work.
- Reach out to potential enrollees in our programs, users of our resources, and partners in our mission through emails, networking, LinkedIn, phone calls, etc.
Qualifications & Requirements
- A deep and demonstrated commitment to comprehensive humane education that
connects the issues of human rights, environmental sustainability, and animal protection.
- A deep and demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Bachelors degree, ideally in communications, digital/graphic design, journalism, public relations, or a related field.
- A minimum of 2 years experience as a communications/marketing specialist or similar
- Excellent error-free written and verbal communication skills, including proofreading skills.
- Works well under pressure and meets tight deadlines.
- Highly computer literate with capability in email, MS Office, and related communication tools.
- Hands-on experience with web content management tools, and specifically WordPress.
- Hands-on experience with creative design tools, such as Canva.
- Proficiency in MS Office and Google Drive.
- Knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics.
- Experience with developing and/or implementing multi-faceted communication/marketing campaigns.
- Content writing experience for all media platforms.
- Proven social media and networking expertise.
- Strategic and creative mindset.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- A portfolio of work available for review.
- Enjoy brainstorming and collaborating with others in a creative environment and
welcome feedback without defensiveness.
- Are diligent and organized, with the ability to consistently complete tasks today while
keeping an eye on long-term strategy.
- Are compassionate and committed to social justice, animal protection, and
- Are eager to meet new people, forge new networks, and make connections that will lead
to a greater number and diversity of schools using our resources and changemakers
participating in our programs.
- Have an excellent work ethic and enjoy teamwork.
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Employment Opportunities
IHE is committed to promoting diversity within our organization, and we believe that the solutionary-focused humane education movement will be stronger when equity and inclusion are priorities. We strongly encourage BIPOC, LGBTQ+ individuals, persons living with disabilities, and people of varied socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, size, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
- Hours: 40 hours/week
- Location: Remote (must be able to communicate with staff during business hours in the
Eastern Time Zone)
- Salary: $42K to $52K commensurate with experience and education
- Benefits: 15 days paid vacation and most national holidays off, payment toward health
care, and IRA contributions
- Deadline: Apply by May 20, 2022
How to apply
Please email the following to steve@HumaneEducation.org, with the subject line: [YOUR LAST NAME] – Marketing and Communications Specialist
- Cover letter
- Three references
Please make sure you clearly indicate how you possess all qualifications in your application
materials as well as any additional strengths or advantages you could bring to this position. You are welcome to include links to any supporting resources or documents, and we invite you to indicate your salary requirements. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and only after the application deadline. We sincerely thank all candidates for their time and interest.